Are you an aspirant who is looking for courses under medicine and surgery to start preparing before resumption? This article contains the full list of courses under medicine and surgery as offered by many Nigerian universities.
No doubt, gaining admission to study medicine and surgery in any university requires a lot of work but maintaining the course of study requires greater work. That is why we have taken our time to gather all the medicine and surgery courses as offered by Nigerian universities to enable you to prepare before resumption.
List of Courses Under Medicine and Surgery in Nigerian Universities
Studying Medicine requires 6 years of study in various medical-related fields. Some of which include General Medicine and Surgery, Pathology, Pediatrics, Medical Microbiology, and so on. Depending on your school, you may start some of these science courses under medicine and related fields earlier than others. Be rest assured you will be taken through everything. See the list of Official List of All Fully Accredited Medical Schools in Nigeria
Find below all the courses under medicine and surgery course as offered in Nigeria.
Anatomy (Embryology, Histology, and Gross Anatomy inclusive)
Basic GNS Courses
Community medicine or Community Health
Obstetrics and Gynecology
Pathology (Microbiology, Histopathology, Chemical pathology, and Hematology inclusive)
Maxillofacial surgery or Ear Nose and Throat (E.N.T) or
Surgery; is a broad field under which some of these courses can be found.
- Trauma and Emergencies
- General surgery
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Ophthalmology and ENT
Medicine; is a broad field under which some medicine and surgery courses in Nigeria can be found;
- Infectious Diseases
List of Medical Related Courses Offered in Nigerian Universities
Apart from medicine and surgery, there are many other medical courses offered by many Nigerian universities. These courses are only related to medicine field and not courses offered by the medical student. That is if your score is not up to the cut-off marks for your preferred school, you can decide to go for other medical courses instead.
Note: Do not confuse the two together, courses under medicine and surgery are courses taken by MBBS students who already gained admission. While medical-related courses are other courses in the medical field.
Find below some of the medical-related courses you can apply for in some Nigerian universities.
- Medical laboratory science; In case, you do not meet the cut off mark for medicine, you can apply for a change of course form and choose Medical Laboratory science to become a Medical Laboratory Scientist. It is one of the highest paid jobs in the Nigerian health sector. See the Medical Laboratory Scientists Salary in Nigeria(2022)
- Dentistry; This is a branch of medicine that deals with the care and treatment of teeth. It is also one of the medical-related courses you can apply for.
- Pharmacy: Pharmacists are known for dispensing drugs in Pharmacies, hospitals, and other institutions. You can also apply for it in case you find it difficult to meet the cut-off marks for medicine and surgery.
- Optometry: This is a branch of medicine that deals with the study, care, and treatment of the eye.
- Nursing science: This is one of the best medical-related courses you can go for apart from medicine. Do you want to study Nursing? See the list of List of Schools of Nursing in Nigeria With Their School Fees
- Physiotherapy: Physiotherapists are also part of the medical team in the hospital. Instead of wasting your time seating at home, you can apply for Physiotherapy at a Nigerian university.
- Microbiology: This is one of the best medical-related courses you can go for apart from medicine.
- Radiography/Radiology: Radiologists are known for their contributions in operating radiological instruments and machines in the hospital. Looking for medical courses to study, try Radiology.
- Science Laboratory Technology: Like Medical Laboratory Scientist, Laboratory technician who studies Science Laboratory Technology works in the laboratory. Although the laboratory technician works under the scientist.
With this article, you should be able to differentiate between courses under medicine and surgery and medical-related courses while applying the information where necessary. We hope you find our article on courses under medicine and surgery in Nigerian universities helpful.
What are the Course Outlines for Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria?
MBBS students take different courses in medical school depending on their level. Some of them include Biochemistry, Physiology, Community medicine or Community Health, Family Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Pharmacology, and so on. You can revert to the top to see the full list.
What are the List of Courses under medicine and surgery?
There are many courses under medicine and surgery. Some of them include Biochemistry, Physiology, Community medicine or Community Health, Family Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Pharmacology, and so on. You can revert to the top to see the full list.
What is the Closest course to medicine and surgery?
Depending on your JAMB score, there are many medical-related courses you can study apart from medicine and surgery. Some of them include Nursing, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Radiology, Optometry, and so on. Revert to the article above to learn more about each of these courses.