Fury-Wilder Rematch Postponed Over COVID-19

The third fight between the rivalry between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder has been postponed when the coronavirus pandemic strikes the United States and Britain, ESPN reported on Tuesday.

Briton Fury, who dethroned unbeaten WBC champion Wilder with a dominant win in seven rounds last month, was due to defend his crown in Las Vegas on July 18.

But prosecutor Bob Arum told ESPN on Tuesday that the rematch was postponed to October as early as possible due to the outbreak of COVID-19, which paralyzed the sporting world.

Read Also:  Samson Siasia Begs Nigerians To Help Raise N90 Million To Settle Ban

With travel restrictions affecting the United States and Britain and Las Vegas casinos closed, Arum said a postponement is the only sensible option.

“You couldn’t guarantee the fighters that the event would take place on that date. We couldn’t even convince them, ”said Arum.

“Where were they training for this? It just didn’t make sense. You just have to take a step back. How will you sell tickets?

Read Also:  Liverpool Confirms Liam Millar's Return To The Club

“It is absolutely ridiculous to say that the fight starts when the British can’t even get there.”

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has also banned all combat sports in the state, adding another complication.

“Everyone has to take a step back. Boxing is not isolated, ”said Arum. “It is part of what is happening in the world. So, possibly, the fight will be in early October.

Fury and Wilder fought for an exciting draw in their first fight in Los Angeles in December 2018.

Read Also:  NAFDAC Warns Nigerians Against `Maishayi’ tea

Fury shocked the boxing world by defeating Wilder with a dominant performance in last month’s rematch, defeating an out-of-sorts Wilder in a one-sided victory.

Leave a Reply