What are the most religious countries in the world? While it may seem that the world is becoming less and less religious with each generation that passes in the age of globalization, statistics reveal that this may not actually be the case.
According to the WIN / Gallup International Poll, the most cited study on religious involvement worldwide, there are many countries around the world where at least 90% of residents identify themselves as religious.
In our list below, we provide an overview of the countries that are at the top of the list of the most religious countries in the world. It is interesting to note that the most religious countries in the world do not adhere to a particular religion, but represent a diverse set of religious beliefs.
5. 95% Religious – Algeria, Chad, Ghana, Mali, Qatar, Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Zambia
Most countries where 95% of the population of religious identities are found in Africa. They are Algeria, Chad, Ghana, Mali, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda and Zambia. Qatar, in the Persian Gulf region, also makes this list.
99% of the population in the North African country of Algeria identifies as Muslim. Islam is very influential in Algerian society.
In Chad, about half the population is Muslim. The rest of the population is Christian (Catholic and Protestant), animist or atheist. The country’s constitution requires religious freedom.
The majority of Ghana’s citizens are Christian. Pentecostal Christians are the most common type of Christians found in Ghana. Ghana is known to have a high degree of religious tolerance.
Islam is the most popular religion in Mali. The rest of the population is mostly Christian.
Although the majority of people in Qatar are Muslim, there are other religions practised in the country. The second most popular religion is Christianity, which is closely followed by Hinduism and Buddhism. However, the state religion is officially Islam.
95% of people living in the Republic of the Congo claim to be religious. Christianity is more common in the country, with Catholics, Protestants all represented. The country is home to a small minority Muslim population.
Catholics are the most represented denomination in the small country of Rwanda. Protestants make up the country’s second largest religious population.
Zambia is officially a Christian country, as its constitution states that it is the official religion. However, the institution also protects citizens’ rights to practice the religion they wish.
4. 96% Religious – Cambodia, Cameroon, Jordan, Malaysia, Nigeria, Philippines, Senegal
Citizens of Cambodia, Cameroon, Jordan, Malaysia, Nigeria, the Philippines and Senegal identify it as 96% religious.
Cambodia’s official religion is Buddhism. However, Islam is the most popular religion for certain minority populations, such as Cham and Malay. There are also approximately 20,000 Catholics in Cambodia.
There are three religions in Cameroon, to which the majority of the population adhere: Christianity, Islam and traditional African religion. In Cameroon, Christians are linguistically divided, with the majority of Anglophones being Protestants and the majority of Francophones being Catholics.
In the Middle Eastern country of Jordan, the majority of the population is Sunni Islam. 96% of the population identifies it as such. The remaining 4% identify as Christians.
Malaysia’s official religion is Islam. However, the country is multicultural and is therefore home to a variety of religious beliefs. The country is unique in designating holidays of various religions as national holidays.
Nigeria is a religious country, with 96% of the population identifying it as religious. The country’s population is divided equally between Islam and Christianity. Most Nigerian Christians are Protestant.
The population of the Philippines is overwhelmingly Roman Catholic, with estimates of around 80%. The Catholic Church is very influential in the country’s culture.
Most Senegalese are Muslim. Islam is practiced by 92% of Senegal’s population. The country has a minority Christian population and is known to be religiously tolerant.
3. 97% Religious – Afghanistan, Comoros, Egypt, Guinea, Laos, Morocco, Myanmar, Thailand
97% of the population in the following countries identify them as religious: Afghanistan, Comoros, Egypt, Laos, Morocco, Myanmar, Thailand.
About 90% of Afghanistan’s residents follow Sunni Islam. The remaining percentage of the population identifies itself as a Shiite Muslim. The Zoroastrian religion is believed to have its roots in Afghanistan. Today, there are about 2,000 Zoroastrians in Afghanistan. Small populations that identify themselves as Christians, Bahá’ís and Buddhists also exist in Afghanistan.
The religion of the state of Comoros is Islam. Almost 98% of the population follows Islam. In the small island country, converting from Islam is a crime. The government has been accused of discouraging the practice of other religions.
In Egypt, religion plays an important role in the daily social life of its residents. The country is predominantly Muslim, with the number hovering around 90%. The remaining 10% of the population belongs mainly to the Coptic Orthodox Church in Alexandria. There are also small populations of people who are neither Muslim nor Coptic Christians.
Most people in Laos follow Buddhism (Theravada Buddhism in particular). Other religions followed include the popular Laotian religion and Christianity.
Islam is the official religion of the state of Morocco. The majority of Muslims in Morocco are Sunni. It has been noted in recent years that the population of those who do not adhere to a particular religion is growing. However, measuring such a statistic is difficult, as many who are atheists or agnostics may prefer to remain silent.
There is no state religion in Myanmar. However, Buddhism is the most popular religion in the country for a landslide. Christians, however, make up the fastest growing religious group in the country.
Thailand, too, does not have an official state religion. The king of Thailand, however, is obliged to practice Buddhism. Populations of Hindus, Muslims, Christians and those who practice popular religions also exist. A small number of Sikhs also exist in Thailand.
2. 98% Religious – Burundi, Djibouti, Mauritania, Somalia
The countries of Burundi, Djibouti, Mauritania and Somalia have populations that consider themselves very religious. In fact, 98% of the citizens of these countries mentioned above consider themselves religious.
In Burundi, about 86% of people identify themselves as Christians. The country is also home to the highest percentages of Catholics in Africa. Some Catholic holidays are holidays in the country.
In Djibouti, 94% of people consider themselves Muslim and 6% identify themselves as Christians.
Mauritania is almost 100% Muslim. The country has been criticized for its lack of religious freedom. In Mauritania, atheism is punishable by death.
The majority religion in Somalia is Islam, although there is a small Christian minority, as well as a small minority who practice traditional faith.
1. 99% Religious – Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Malawi, Niger, Sri Lanka, Yemen
The most religious country in the world is actually the 7th tie between Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Malawi, Niger, Sri Lanka and Yemen.
Islam plays an important role in the daily lives of Bangladeshi Muslims (about 88% of the population of Bangladesh). Islam is also the official religion of this country, which has one of the largest Muslim communities in the world. Muslim festivals are celebrated with great pomp and festivity across the region.
In Ethiopia, there is no official religion, but several religions are practiced. The most popular of these is the Ethiopian Orthodox faith, with 43.5% of the country’s population adhering to it. Other religions in the country include Protestant Christians, Catholicism, Islam and traditional beliefs.
Islam is the most popular religion in Indonesia, with 87.2% of the population practicing. The country’s constitution guarantees the freedom to practice one’s religion. The international spiritual movement called Subud was founded in Indonesia.
The majority of Malawi’s population identifies itself as Christian. There is also a notable Muslim population.
99% of the citizens of Niger consider themselves religious. Islam is the religion for most residents of Niger, with 94% of the population following this religion. Most Muslims in Niger are Sunnis who practice the Maliki school of jurisprudence. Animism, Christianity, Hinduism, Bahá’ísm and some traditional African religions are some of the other minority religions practiced in the country.
Read Also: Top 10 Biggest Churches In Nigeria
Sri Lanka is a multi-religious society. Although Buddhism is the main religion, other religions, such as Hinduism, Christianity and Islam, are also commonly followed there. Buddhism played a very important role in shaping the country’s history and continues to influence the ethical and philosophical aspects of Sri Lankan culture. In general, the population of Sri Lanka is highly religious, with 99% saying that religion plays an important role in their daily lives.
Even though followers of the different schools of Islam occupy separate territories in Yemen, Islam unifies Yemenis across the country’s borders. Yemenis strictly adhere to the five principles of Islam. Men gather in mosques for prayers and on Saturday for sermons, while women are strictly prohibited from entering these public places of worship. All major festivals on the Arab Muslim calendar are observed by Yemenis.
Most religious countries in the world
|S/N||Country||Population Identifying As Religious (%)|
|36.||Central African Republic||94|
|37.||Democratic Republic of Congo||94|
|44.||State of Palestine||93|
|51.||Trinidad and Tobago||92|
|53.||United Arab Emirates||91|