In this article, we will be taking a look at the list of health agencies in Nigeria with their functions, addresses, and contacts details.
There are many health agencies in Nigeria that are saddled with the responsibility of promoting and protecting the health of the public. All these health agencies in Nigeria are placed under the Ministry of Health where they are assigned to their specific roles and responsibilities. Find below the health agencies in Nigeria with their contact information.
List of Health Agencies in Nigeria
In no order of priority, below is the list of the Nigerian health agencies.
1. National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA)
The National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) is one of the health agencies in Nigeria that is saddled with the management of the primary health care system. NPHCDA was founded in 1992 to provide quality health care to all cornerstones in Nigeria through primary health care.
The Nigerian health agency which is under the federal ministry of health monitors activities and oversees all the affairs of the primary health care system.
- Head Office: No. 681/682, Port Harcourt Crescent, Area 11, Garki, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory.
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Contact: +234 809 177 7783
2. National Agency for Food Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC)
The National Agency for Food Drug Administration and Control popularly known as NAFDAC is one of the health agencies in Nigeria that regulates drugs and food production. Since its establishment in 1992, it has been waging war against fake drugs and the illegal production of hard drugs.
NAFDAC sees to the punishment of criminals caught with hard drugs or substandard consumables like food, cosmetics, packaged water, and so on. See the List of Top Highest Paid Paramilitary Agencies in Nigeria
- Head Office: Plot 2032, Olusegun, Obasanjo Way, Zone 7, Wuse, Abuja, Nigeria.
- Email Addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
- Contacts: +234(0)-1-4609750, +234(0)909-763-0506, +234(0)909-763-0507.
3. National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS)
Have you ever heard about the National Health Insurance Scheme or NHIS before? It is one of the public health agencies in Nigeria managing the health insurance scheme.
The NHIS was established in 1999 under Act 35 of the same year. It was created to make health care affordable and accessible to all citizens of Nigeria. Most public servants are the contributor to this initiative before it was introduced to the whole public.
The contributors pay to the Federal Government through the agency at intervals as insurance against some form of ailments. In case of occurrence of such ailments, the government will be responsible for the partial or total payment of the health services depending on the agreement. Thereby reducing health care services costs.
Thus, the NHIS agency is responsible for the management of the scheme and regulating all the Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) under it. Check out the Top 10 Best Insurance Companies in Nigeria 2021
- Head Office: Plot 297, Shehu Yar’adua Way, Utako District, Abuja. Nigeria
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contacts: 0805-928-2008, 0808-328-0131, 0803-979-6126, 0806-574-4100, 0805-901-5854.
4. Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC)
Here is also another Nigerian health agency that is under the federal ministry of health. The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) was established in response to the occurrence of different public health diseases.
Since its inception in 2011, it has been saddled with monitoring, investigating, and surveillance of communicable diseases. The Nigeria public health agencies are popularly known for their accountability during the Covid-19 era. Check out Nigerian National Intelligence Agency: NIA Salary Structure, Recruitment Process, and others
- Head Office: Plot 801, Ebitu Ukiwe Street, Jabi, Abuja, Nigeria
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Contact: 0800 970000 10 (Toll-Free Call Centre)
5. National Agency For The Control Of AIDS (NACA)
The National Agency for the Control of AIDS is a Nigerian health agency that is responsible for educating the public about HIV/AIDS. NACA under the supervision of the federal ministry of health formulates policies and rules to control HIV/AIDs in Nigeria.
They support and encourage all activities that affect HIV/AIDs positively. Some of which include HIV/AIDs research, education, awareness, and so on.
- Head Office: Plot 823, Ralph Shodeinde Street, Central Business District, Abuja, Nigeria.
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: (234) 08091836222, 6222(Toll-free on Etisalat and Airtel).
6. National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD)
Here is also one of the health agencies in Nigeria which focuses on the production, regulation, and sales of pharmaceutical drugs and products. The National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD) was established in 1987 to promote pharmaceutical research.
Since then, the Nigerian health agency has continued to conduct different researches to further the knowledge of drugs production.
- Head Office: P.M.B 21, Industrial Area, Garki, Abuja- FCT, Nigeria
- Email Address: email@example.com
7. Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR)
Similar to the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development, the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research is a Nigerian health agency saddled with research-related work. The agency is responsible for researching different diseases and infections with aim of proffering solutions.
With many standard facilities and manpower assigned to its capacity, the NIMR has achieved a whole lot of feet and influenced the health sector. Thus, making it one of the public health agencies in Nigeria. See the National Space Research And Development Agency (NASRDA) Salary Structure [2021 Updates]
- Head Office: 6, Edmund crescent off Murtala Mohammed way, P.M.B. 2013 Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: +234 1 909 213 3886
8. National Blood Transfusion Service (NBTS)
Have you ever heard of the National Blood Transfusion Service? It is one of the health agencies in Nigeria under the federal ministry of health. The government agency is saddled with education and encouraging blood safety as well as a voluntary donation.
- Head Office: No 39, Abidjan Street, Wuse Zone 3, Abuja Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria.
- Contacts: 0803 589 6132, 09 524 1790, 09- 780 6418, 09 524 1790
Final Thoughts on Health Agencies in Nigeria
Although there are many other health agencies in Nigeria apart from the above-listed ones, these are the popular and prominent ones.
We hope you find our article on the health agencies in Nigeria helpful. Kindly share with friends and family, thank you.