Kaduna Villagers to Buhari: Save Us

Kaduna Villagers to Buhari: Save Us

Residents of six villages attacked over the weekend by suspected Boko Haram terrorists on Monday reported their ordeal and shouted at President Muhammadu Buhari to save them.

Residents said they counted between 50 and 51 bodies after the chaos.

Some of the bodies, residents said, were burned by insurgents, who accused residents of providing information to security officials.

Four houses and six vehicles were reported to be destroyed in the attack that affected Kerawa, Marina, Zariyawa, Rago, Hashimawa and Unguwar Barau in the local government area of ​​Igabi.

Governor Nasir El-Rufai and some security chiefs visited the affected communities on Monday. El-Rufai did not hide his anger at the murders. He said it was “our duty” to send the terrorists to “their creators”. He apologized to them for their management’s inability to protect them.

One of the residents from the villages, who spoke for them, described the attack as “unprecedented and horrible”.

He said: “We have over 50 dead now. We still have to bury them. It will take hours to bury them.

“We ask the federal government to please pay attention to the situation at Igabi LGA, especially in Igabi West. President Buhari must come to our rescue. Please deploy security officers who can do this job, the ones who previously parked here never stayed.

“We know that we will all die one day and return to Almighty Allah. Even the bad guys were saying that. Therefore, the government must fear Allah. We are in a terrible situation.

“If we start the funeral now, we won’t be finished until midnight. These killers are not just bandits as many thought, they are Boko Haram, they did not steal anything; they just killed and burned our belongings. ”

Another resident said the bandits accused them of reporting their activities to security forces who recently bombed their fields at neighbouring Birnin-Gwari LGA.

He said: “If you can remember, a few weeks ago, police raided the bandit’s camp and killed many of them. Air Force men and Soldiers also attacked the bandits a few days ago and killed many of them.

“So these thugs believe that we are the ones who provide security officers with information about their movements and camps.

“Some of us who escaped the attackers said that the bandits were saying in the Hausa language that it was the residents who reported them to security officers.

“In fact, we have been suffering at the hands of the bandits for a long time. They invade our villages and kidnap people without question. That’s why we became the bandits’ first suspects. ”

The Hausa Voice of America Service (VOA) quoted another resident as saying that, while the attack was taking place, a plane believed to be on reconnaissance service flew by as if it were “going to Mecca”.

He said: “What happened was unprecedented. We have never seen this type of horror in our lives. These killers are Boko Haram. They invaded our village killing indiscriminately, spared no one, neither the young people nor the old Almajiris were spared.

“They continued to shoot people, setting fire to the dead and property. It was extremely horrible. They went from one room to the other killing; a man and his children were killed, even new babies.

Governor El-Rufai During his visit to Karewa and four other villages affected by the chaos, apologized for his government’s inability to protect the people.

He said that, except for the intervention of security agents, the villages would have been completely destroyed.

The governor, who ruled out the amnesty for the bandits, said: “Had it not been for the immediate intervention of the security agencies, they would have destroyed the villages.

“I also came to apologize for our failure to fully protect you, we are doing our best to minimize these incidents, you must continue to forgive us.

“But we are doing the best we can and we hope that this problem of banditry will be resolved because the security team is in place to manage the situation.

“In Kaduna, we have vast land, if security officers close one area, they attack another area.

“But it is our duty to eliminate them and even send them to the manufacturer, the security agencies are taking the war to the forest and we are eliminating them gradually.

“Security agencies are doing the best they can, but they find it difficult to reach remote areas in time due to poor access roads. Natives, on the other hand, also find it difficult to reach security personnel due to the poor GSM network.

“But I am grateful to the Air Force, the Army, the Police and the DSS for always being quick, otherwise it would have been worse.”

He urged the people to remain patient, vigilant and support the government in its efforts to win the war against the bandits.
El-Rufai prayed for those who died and instructed the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) to provide relief materials for the victims.

The governor was accompanied on the visit by the GOC, 1st Division, director of the DSS and presidents of the LGAs of Igabi and Giwa.

The senator representing Kaduna Central, Mallam Uba Sani, described Sunday’s killings as ruthless.

Sani, in a statement, said that “the cold-blooded murder of about 51 people in Kaduna villages further deepened the pain of Nigerians and reinforced the imperative and urgency to reinvigorate security architecture in the country.”

* Bandits kill village chief in Zamfara

The Zamfara Police Command confirmed the murder of Mallam Gambo Kujemi, the chief of the village of Kujemi in the Dansadau district of Maru LGA by bandits.

He said in a statement from spokesman Mohammed Shehu that the bandits also killed another person.

Shehu said the chief of the village, who was in Karauchi, was killed when the bandits attacked the village.

He explained that the bandits invaded the village in large numbers on motorcycles around 8:40 pm on Sunday and fired sporadically.

Leave a Reply