Gone are the days when fashion designing or tailoring is learned only by Apprenticeship. Today, there are many universities offering fashion designing as a course in Nigeria.
To become a professional fashion designer, you can choose to enroll in any of the schools or universities offering fashion designing as a course. Better still goes to a dedicated fashion school to learn the art of sewing with related skills.
Fashion Designing involves creativity, technical knowledge, and skills to produce good designs and trends. It needs adequate studying of trends to stay relevant. All these are done in the below-listed institutions and universities offering fashion designing as a course.
You need more knowledge other than handling scissors, thread, and needles as well as wearing fancy clothes to become a professional. Continue reading to learn more about universities offering fashion designing as a course in Nigeria with their requirements.
Read Also: Top Fashion Schools In Lagos: Location and Contact
List of Accredited Universities Offering Fashion Designing in Nigeria
Most Universities do not offer fashion design as a course because they deal mostly with theories. They focus on knowledge with little or no practical skills which doesn’t suit fashion design.
Hence, many polytechnics are the ones offering fashion designing as a course in Nigeria even though the University of Abuja has recently added fashion designing to the course offered to students.
Nigerian University Offering Fashion Designing as a Course
1. University of Abuja
The University of Abuja is the only Nigerian university offering fashion designing as a course. The school recently added it as one of the courses it’s offering.
Enrolling in a university for fashion design will give you an edge over others. As you will be certified with a bachelor’s degree in it after completing your required courses. You will also learn deeply about the skills and knowledge required to be a professional fashion designer.
Polytechnics Offering Fashion Designing as a Course in Nigeria
Apart from the University of Abuja, many other polytechnics are training fashion experts and designers. These polytechnics adopt a standard curriculum combining both theories and practical knowledge in teaching.
Enrolling in any of them gives you the chance to practice with different kinds of industrial sewing machines. You will also participate in 1-year compulsory Industrial attachment with any industry or training center of your choice. Where you will learn and have adequate experience.
Once you complete the requirements, you will be certified as a professional fashion designer. Most polytechnics offer fashion designing courses under Fashion Design and Clothing Technology. Find below the list of polytechnics that offers fashion design as a course.
- Kano State polytechnic, KANOPOLY
- The Polytechnic of Ibadan, Oyo State
- Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic in Kazaure, Jigawa State.
- Kalac Christal Polytechnic, KCPOLY
- Kaduna Polytechnic, KADPOLY
- Auchi polytechnic, AUCHIPOLY
- Yaba College of Technology, YABATECH
- Benue State Poly, BENPOLY
- Jigawa State Institute of Information Technology, JSIIT
- The Ibarapa Polytechnic, IBARAPAPOLY in Eruwa
- Delta state polytechnic, DELTAPOLY
- Federal polytechnic of Oko, OKOPOLY
- Institute of Management Technology of Enugu, IMT Enugu
- Federal Polytechnic of Oko, Anambra State
Admission Requirements for Studying Fashion Designing in Schools
The subject combination and O’Level requirements for studying fashion design include
- A compulsory pass in Home economics or technical drawing
- A compulsory pass in English language and Mathematics with the other 2 subjects
- A credit or pass in any of the following subjects; Home Management, History, Physics, Fine Art, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science, Clothing and Textiles, Literature in English, etc.
Read Also: Helpful Sewing Kits Every Fashion Designer Needs
After meeting the required O’Level subject combinations, you are expected to;
- Combine Mathematics, and English language with other 3 subjects in your JAMB
- Meet the polytechnic’s minimum cut-off mark to be considered for admission.
With these, you are eligible for admission even though you may undergo a screening process or write some other exams to be chosen.
Direct Entry Requirements
This is for people who seek to use their HND certificate to enroll in a university course, rather than writing JAMB. Such candidates must meet;
- The O’Level Requirements
- Statement of result of any courses related to fashion designing from any polytechnic
You can drop any questions concerning universities offering fashion designing courses in Nigeria in the section box below.