This article contains a full beginner’s guide to start a successful ketogenic diet journey. Here, you will learn everything you need to know about the keto diet. This including the Keto diet plan, benefits as well as how to start and succeed with the program.
What is Ketogenic Diet all About?
A ketogenic diet which is also known as the Keto diet involves the adjustment of your daily food by reducing your carbohydrate (carb) intake and increasing the fat diets. It is a diet program where you eat more fat-giving food while shunning carb diets. This is mostly done by females and some males to reduce weight as well as overcome some other disease conditions.
For someone who is undergoing the Keto diet program, there will be low or no-carb, high-fat food, and sometimes little protein in the food diet plan. The logic behind this is to reduce the carb level in the body so that the body will start using fats as a source of energy.
Which leads to a state known as Ketosis. During Ketosis, the body is undergoing fat metabolism in the liver and converts fat to ketone. It’s what will be used as a source of energy rather than the normal glucose from carbohydrates.
A ketogenic diet tends to reduce the blood sugar levels in the body, appetite as well as bring about general weight loss. Below are the different types of Ketogenic diets you may try out as a beginner.
1. Standard Keto diet
As the name implies, it’s the standard or normal type of the keto diet. Operating this type of keto diet plan means your food intake constituent must include a low carb (10%), moderate protein (20%), and high fat (70%) diet.
People using this type of keto diet mostly feed on fats with little protein and carbohydrates. This type may not be easy to adopt by beginners.
2. Cyclical Ketogenic Diet
This type of ketogenic diet includes observing a standard keto diet for someday and eating high carb food for some stipulated days. For instance, a person who is following a cyclical keto diet may follow the standard diet for 5 days while switching to the high carbon the remaining days.
3. High Protein Ketogenic Diet
This is similar to the standard diet except that it includes a large percentage of protein in its diet. About 60% of the food plan is fat while 35% is protein and the other 5% is for the carb.
4. Targeted Keto Diet
In this type of diet, you are only able to eat carb when you are exercising.
If you are just starting, you can start with a cyclical ketogenic diet before switching fully to the standard diets. Find below some benefits of following a keto plan.
Some of the Benefits of Keto Diets include;
1. Weight Loss
One of the most reasons people undertake the keto diet program is to shed off their excess weight. If you are asking; if the Keto diet can help to reduce weight? Our answer is Yes!
This is because your intake reduces drastically which is an important factor in maintaining weight.
Read Also: 5 Healthy Ways to Lose Weight Quickly
2. Reduced Appetite
Another related benefit low appetite. Taking a lot of fats giving food gives you satisfaction after eating. Once you are satisfied, you have little or no appetite for eating any other food.
3. Reduce Blood Sugar (Diabetes)
Carbohydrates are the main source of energy and sugar (glucose) in the body. With the Keto diet, your carb intake is almost non-existent leading to low blood sugar.
With low blood sugar, your chances of developing diabetes are low. It can also be used in treating Type 2 Diabetes for the same reasons.
4. Other Diseases
The ketogenic diet is effective against many other diseases like epilepsy, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkison, Brain Injury, Polycystic ovarian syndrome, and so on. It’s also reported to slow the growth of cancers when used during management.
How To Start A Ketogenic Diet Journey
To start your ketogenic diet journey, you need the advice of health professionals to decide the type of keto diet to go for.
According to Healthline, your carbohydrate intake limit per day should be around 20 to 50g and your protein intake should be moderate. You should fill your diet plan with fatty foods like healthy oils, meat, fish, eggs, nuts, milk, and so on.
Practicing Intermittent fasting will also help you to succeed on your keto journey. You don’t necessarily need to starve yourself all day. Just take your planned diets within the 1st 8 hours of a day and fast for the remaining hours.
It may take up to 2 to 3 days before your body starts undergoing Ketosis. Depending on the body system, it may even take up to a week. Just ensure you follow your regimen and you will soon achieve your goals.
To know when your body has started undergoing ketosis, you can go to the hospital to do a blood test, urine, or even a breath test. Or better still, watch out for symptoms like dehydration or constant thirst, decreased appetite or hunger, frequent urination, dry mouth, muscle aches, unusual taste, headache, insomnia, breathe odor, and so on.
Food You Can Eat During Ketogenic Journey
During your Keto diet journey, ensure you reduce or avoid any Carb diet and increase intake of food containing fats including;
- Meats; Most meats are high in fats with little or no protein which makes it a perfect keto diet plan. You can consume sausage, bacon, chicken, red meat, steak, ham, and turkey during your keto diet.
- Fatty Fish; Of course, fatty fish would be perfect for your keto journey. Some fatty fish you can start with include trout, tuna, mackerel, and salmon.
- Dairy Products; Diary products like pastured eggs, unprocessed cheeses (including goat, cream, cheddar, blue, or mozzarella) will be helpful during your Journey.
- Vegetables; Not all vegetables are useful for the Keto diet plan. Ensure you use vegetables that contain low carbohydrates only which include
tomatoes, onions, green veggies, peppers, and so on.
- Healthy Oils; Oils like avocado oil, olive oil, coconut oil, are also the best oil to use during your weight loss and ketogenic journey.
- Nuts/Seeds; You can also take nuts or seeds that contain low carb content. Examples of those nuts and seeds include flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, and so on.
You can also use seasonings or condiments like salt, pepper, herbs, spices, and so on in your Ketogenic diets.
Foods You Should Avoid During Your Ketogenic Journey
Below are some of the food you should avoid during your Ketogenic journey as they contain a high percentage of carbs.
- Grains/Starches; These are the main constituents of Carbohydrates, so you should avoid them or reduce their intakes. They include wheat-based products, rice, pasta, and other cereals.
- Sugary Related Foods; Drink or food that contains sugar like ice cream, cake, candy, soda, and so on. You should also avoid sugar-free candies, syrups, puddings, sweeteners, desserts, and so on.
- Fruits; Almost all fruits contain high carb content except some berries like strawberries.
- Beans/Legumes; You should also avoid lentils, beans, chickpeas, peas as they can disrupt ketosis in the body.
- Alcoholic Drinks; Alcoholics like beer, wine, and others should also be avoided as they contain sugar
Despite the focus on food that contains fats, you should beware of unhealthy fats like mayonnaise, processed vegetable fats. Some sauces like barbecue sauce, ketchup, honey mustard, teriyaki sauce are also disruptive as well as root yams like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and so on.
More on Ketogenic Diet/ Keto Diets
Even though keto diets are highly beneficial, it has many side effects as well as complications when not done moderately. We advised you to look within yourself and ensure you need it before starting it. Don’t just do it because others are doing it!
What do you think about Ketogenic diets? Have you tried it out before? Share your experience with us, let’s learn together!