The Federal Government in its efforts to protect the purchase and selling of fake yellow cards in Nigeria has continued to change the process of getting the card every year.
For now, applying for a yellow card in Nigeria is done electronically and online.
Do you intend to travel out of Nigeria soon? It’s important to know how to apply and get a yellow card in Nigeria.
What is a Yellow Card?
A yellow card is also known as a Yellow fever card. It’s a card(yellow in color) that certifies travelers who have it as being vaccinated against yellow fever. This is mostly done and required by many countries including Nigeria to prevent yellow fever and other disease outbreaks among travelers.
It is done by the health care development agency and not private hospitals. Below is the list of places you can get your yellow card from either in Lagos and other parts of the country.
List of Places You Can Get Yellow Card From in Lagos and Other Parts of Nigeria
- Murtala Mohammed Airport in Lagos
- Port Harcourt International airport in Port Harcourt
- Nnamdi Azikwe International airport in Abuja
- Margaret Ekpo International airport in Calabar
- Akwa Ibom
- Brass in Rivers
- Ibaka Seaport
Read Also: How to Travel Abroad From Nigeria In 2021
Steps To Obtain A Yellow Card in Nigeria
1. Start by applying online on the Yellow card portal by visiting their WEBSITE
2. Click on register or yellow card application
3. Fill in your personal information accurately.
4. Click Pay Now to generate your Remita Retrieval receipts after making payments of N2000 or go to the bank to make the required payment.
5. Print out your payment confirmation or keep the bank receipt depending on your mode of payment.
6. Go to the Port Health Services center close to you or any Federal Secretariat for your Yellow Card certificate and vaccination.
Note: You are expected to go with the printed document(payment confirmation) and your passport biodata page.
7. You may have to Queue depending on the number of people you met there. That’s why it’s advisable to go earlier.
8. Once it’s your turn, the vaccine will be administered after confirmation of your payment
9. After being Vaccinated, a yellow card will be issued to you.
Congratulations! You have successfully obtained your yellow card in Nigeria and can now travel with no fear of embarrassment.
List of Countries Prone To Transmission of Yellow Fever
In case, you are traveling to any of the following countries, you need to get vaccinated as the risk of transmission is higher.
In AFRICA; some of the countries include Chad, Republic of the Congo, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, Sudan, Togo, Uganda, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Côte d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Nigeria, Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger.
Some Americans also like Argentina, French Guiana, Guyana, Panama, Paraguay Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador, Suriname, Trinidad, and Tobago.
How Much Does It Cost To Obtain Yellow Card in Nigeria
Getting a Yellow Card in Nigeria costs only N2000 which you are expected to pay on the website or go to the bank. Even though you may need to take a print out your payment confirmation slip if you paid online.
Note: If you have already been vaccinated against Yellow Fever before, you are not expected to take it again when your card expired. You should just visit their center to pay for another Card instead. Children below 10 years of age don’t need vaccination again as they would have been vaccinated against yellow fever and other diseases during their childhood.
Pregnant women and nursing mothers are also exempted from taking the vaccines including adults who are over 60 years of age.
We hope you find this guide on how to obtain a Yellow Card in Nigeria helpful.