Have you ever wondered how much NIMASA pays its staff per month or year? This article contains full details on NIMASA salary structure and how much they pay their workers. But before we delve into that, let’s take a look at what the organization does and its function.
The Nigeria Maritime Administration and Safety Agency which is popularly called NIMASA is a government agency that is saddled with regulations of all activities happening on the Nigerian sea and waterways. They enforce and regulate all activities whether local or foreign trade. The government agency is under and regulated by the Federal Ministry of Transport.
NIMASA was founded in August 2006 by the union of the National Maritime Authority(NMA) and Joint Maritime Labour Industrial Council. Since its establishment, the top regulatory agency has been overseeing the implementation of domesticated International Maritime Organization (IMO), implementation of the International Labour Organization (ILO) Conventions, Promotion of Commercial Shipping and Cobatage activities, Pollution Prevention and Control in the marine environment, Maritime Safety Seafarers Standards and Security, Maritime Labour and enforcing Shipping Regulation.
Functions of Nigeria Maritime Administration and Safety Agency(NIMASA)
Below are some other functions performed by NIMASA
1. Ensuring the improvement of shipping and regulatory matters relating to seafarers and merchant shipping.
2. Supervision and regulation of shipping licenses and Seafarers certification.
3. Organization of Maritime Training and instituting Safety Standards for new NIMASA officers
4. Regulation of and Ensuring safety shipping during the construction of ships and navigation.
5. Provide with Maritime Search and Rescue Services when needed
6. Give direction and enforce rules and regulations with vessels for security measures
7. Conduct Coastal and Air Surveillance
8. Prevention of Maritime Pollution
9. Formulation and implementation of programs, policies, and strategies for the growth of local capacity in ownership, supervision, and construction of ships and other related amenities
10. Conduct all Port and Flag State-related duties.
11. Provision of maximum Security on water territory.
Since we have discussed the function of the top regulatory agency(NIMASA), the next step is to look at how much they pay their worker.
NIMASA Salary Structure: How Much They Pay Their Workers
NIMASA is one of the top federal agencies with decent pay. They pay their staff based on Consolidated Research and Allied Institutes(CONRAISS) Salary Scale. This means NIMASA’s salary structure is based on grade level and year of experience in the civil service.
Below is the list of NIMSA salary structures with the various level of staff earnings.
- Entry Level Salary – NIMASA pays an average of N100,000 to ₦150,000 per month which ranges between N1.2 million to N1.8 million in a year.
- Grade Level 7 (step 1) – NINASA grade 7 level staff are paid an average salary of N90,000 in a month which sums up to over a million naira in a year.
- Grade Level 8 (step 1) – NIMASA pays its grade level, 8 staff, up to ₦103,988 monthly summing up to about ₦1,247,854 in a year.
Note: These are the current NIMASA salary structures before taxes and other important deductions.
More on NIMASA Salary Structure
Even though there are other additional allowances and bonuses enjoyed by NIMASA staff, the above-mentioned is the average paying scale used by the agency. You should also be aware that the NIMASA salary structure can undergo changes anytime depending on the agency.
Do you have any additional information about how much NIMASA pays its staff, feel free to share with us via the comment section?