Talking about the FIRS salary structure and how much FIRS Staffs earn, this article explores in detail the salary structure of the Federal Inland Revenue Service in Nigeria.
Federal Inland Revenue Service(FIRS) is a government agency which focuses mainly on collecting, monitoring, and collation of taxes record from citizens on behalf of the Federal Government. FIRS was established in 1943 under the department of Inland Revenue of Anglo-phone West Africa. With the sole aim of serving as the tax system of nations. Nigeria’s FIRS later got its autonomy in 2007.
Since then, the Federal Inland Revenue Service in Nigeria has been the agency saddle with the responsibility of monitoring Nigerian tax activity. Before delving into the FIRS Salary Structure, let’s take a look at their function.
Functions of Federal Inland Revenue Service in Nigeria
1. They collect, monitor, and process taxes on behalf of the Federal Government.
2. Through their activities, they help in redistribution of wealth among Nigeria citizens
3. They provide records which are used to measure growth and development of the nation
4. They serve as a source of income, finance, and funds for the government public projects and programs.
5. They are also capable of estimating benefits and privileges that should be accrued to the status of business organizations, or corporate bodies who complied with the tax law.
These among many others are the functions of the FIRS. Let’s explore the amount of salary FIRS pays their staff including the Youth Corpers.
How Much Does the Federal Inland Revenue Service(FIRS) pays Youth Corpers?
The Federal Inland Revenue Service(FIRS) pays the NYSC Youth Corpers who are serving their father’s land in the FIRS office between N34,000 to N46,000. Which means this is one of the government agencies that pay Youth Corpers handsomely.
How Much Does the Federal Inland Revenue Service(FIRS) pay Their Permanent Staffs Monthly in Nigeria?
There are many factors that determine how much a permanent staff at the FIRS will get paid monthly. Such factors include the position occupied by the staff, the grade or level, and the years of service spent.
Based on many reports; the grade 8 level staff earns around N103,987 in a month while the grade 7 staff earns N89,434 in a month. Bear in mind that this is excluding tax, pension, and some other fees.
Apart from the salary, FIRS staffs are entitled to many allowances and benefits depending on their years of service.
That being said, there are many positions in the FIRS organization with different salary structures. Depending on your work position; FIRS Salary Structure differs. Here’s a table showing the Federal Inland Revenue Service Salary Structure of each staff.
FIRS Salary Structure of Different Job Positions
|FIRS Job Positions||Average Salary Monthly|
|NYSC Corps Member||N24,000 - N26,000|
|NYSC Corps Intern||N34,000 - N46,000|
|VAT officer(corper)||N24,000 - N26,000|
|Accounting Clerk Intern||N67,000 - N73,000|
|Accountant||N198,000 - N211,000|
|Human Resources Generalist||N479,000 – N517,000|
|Assistant manager||N310,000 – N331,000|
|Tax Administrator||N342,000 – N360,000|
|Inspector of Taxes||N382,000 – N412,600|
|Tax Officer||N289,600 – N310,000|
|Conseiller En Développement ||N279,000 – N298,000|
Federal Inland Revenue Service(FIRS) Mode of Operations
Mainly, the job of FIRS staffs is to collect, monitor, and record taxes, but there are many other operations they carried out even though it’s related to their main duty. To achieve the below-listed duties; a good FIRS staff is expected to possess the following attributes which include; Professionalism, Respect to taxpayers, Continuous learning, Efficiency, Team Spirit, Partnering, Transparency, Fairness, Information Sharing, Collaborative Decision Making, Competence, Accountability
Self-Discipline, and Speed.
Some of the FIRS Mandates and Operations includes;
1. They provide tax advisory services to the citizens and the general public.
2. Issuing of Taxpayer Identification Number(TIN) to taxpayers
3. Provision of tax records, data, and reports to the government for adequate planning, policies, and legislation by the government.
4. They inform and educate Nigerians on new tax policies and development.
We hope you find our article on the FIRS salary structure useful.