In Nigeria, a Tax Identification Number(TIN) is compulsory for both individuals and organizations who are working and eligible to pay tax. Since Taxpaying is mandatory, you must know how to obtain your Tax Identification Number. Below is a guide on how to obtain your TIN according to laid down rules by Nigeria Joint Tax Board (JTB).
What is the Tax Identification Number?
Tax Identification Number(TIN) is a number given to verified taxpayers either individuals or organizations. It verifies citizens or organizations with it as registered taxpayers.
Why You Should Obtain Your TIN?
Apart from the fact that tax payment is compulsory for every citizen, especially adults and organizations. You will need your TIN to perform and complete many procedures related to any Federal Government agency. Procedures include applying for Government loans, registering a new vehicle, foreign exchange, and applying for the certificate of occupancy among many others.
How To Apply For Your Tax Identification Number?
Tax Identification Number is a unique number assigned to taxpayers as a means of identification based on Your National Identification Number(NIN) or BVN, especially for individuals. The following are the steps you can take to Obtain your TIN.
Filling of Tax Identification Form
- Request your TIN on the website by visiting https://tin.jtb.gov.ng/TinRequestExternal Or better still visit the nearest Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) office to request the form.
- Fill all the required sections especially those denoted with an asterisk(*)
- Insert a valid email address with your phone number
Note: The phone number, and email address with other details to be more than 200 words.
- After doing this online, the next step is to print out the application form with other requirements and visit the nearest Federal Inland Revenue Service Office to complete your registration.
Below is the list of requirements for both individuals and organizations who want to obtain their Tax Identification Numbers.
For individuals without a registered company or organization, you are expected to take along the following;
- Your print-out tax identification application form
- Valid Identification Card either International Passports, National Driver License, or National ID card.
For companies or Organizations
Companies or Organizations with registered businesses are expected to take the following with them;
- The TIN form
- Your business name registration certificate
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Utility bill
- A document containing your business, certificate address, and date of establishment.
Note: You are expected to take an original copy and a photocopy of the above-listed requirements. The original is mainly for confirmation while the photocopies will be collected.
With this requirement, individual or organization details will be verified. After necessary completing procedures at their office, your TIN will be issued.
How Much Does a TIN Cost and How Long Does It Take?
Getting and applying for your TIN is free especially if you do it yourself. If given to others or agents to do on your behalf. You may have to pay some fees depending on the agent.
Your TIN is expected to be ready within 1 to 2 weeks after submission of the form depending on their system.
We hope you find our guide on how to obtain a Tax Identification Number in Nigeria helpful.