We have our traditional way of tie and die but now done in a classic way with ready-made t-shirts. See how to tie-dye clothes by yourself and make cool cash.
Tie-Dye has been on for some years now before most of us are born, this is a unique way of designing your plain cotton or other clothing fabrics and it stands out while it can be used on any occasion.
There has been a very huge demand for tie and dye most especially in Nigeria and it also indirectly serves as a source of income for those willing to make some cash off it.
You can sell for #5,000 and your capital might just be #2,000, automatically you have made #3,000 on a shirt, isn’t that cool?.
This practice of tie-dye is common and well known just as the popular Adire being made by the Yoruba women of Southwestern Nigeria, the people of Egbaland in Ogun State to be precise. Though we have other people that also practice it in Africa and beyond.
The beauty of these clothes can’t just be explained and with factory-made t-shirts, you can even have much more beauty from the tie-dye design.
It is also fun doing this with your family as you can design your clothes by yourself even if you ain’t interested in commercial production.
Tie and Dye is known to be one of the most performed craft during the quarantine period and if you watch WhatsApp status or Facebook and other social media account of your friends you must have come across one that is into it.
If you want to know how to dye shirts like as it is shown in the image of this post then you should give this a shot, keep reading and we will give you the steps to achieve it successfully.
The thing about dyeing t-shirts is not that it is discovered in Nigeria, according to history it was first practiced in China, it has become fashionable on the network a long time ago, but it is clear that with the fame that both have, it will become a trend since it is a very fun activity.
How to Tie And Dye Shirts – Step by Step
If you have been wanting to know how to make tie and dye shirts then here are the steps to dye shirts like a pro;
- The first thing you need are the materials, which are a white cotton t-shirt (you will surely have a few), clothing dye or acrylic paint, and rubber bands or rope.
- Fold the shirt, roll it into a ball, or twist it however you like. Depending on how you wish to have the folds, the pattern will be one way or another.
- Fasten the shirt in that way with elastics, and if you don’t have them, with a rope, although the former are more comfortable/suitable.
- Start to paint the shirt by pouring the dye over it, you can add as many colors as you want, throughout the shirt or by areas. You must add a lot of paint so that it is well impregnated.
- Let the shirt dry for several hours, for example overnight.
- In the morning, remove the rubber bands and open the shirt to see how it turned out… you already have your new dyed shirt!
- If you don’t have paint, you can bleach a colored shirt with bleach. It’s as easy as taking a colored shirt, twisting it, putting the rubber bands on it, putting it in a bowl of bleach for 10 minutes and then letting it dry until the next morning. Remove the rubbers and you have another version.
Have you done yours? Let’s hear from you on how you did yours and the results gotten from it via the comment box below.